I went out for some beer in Manchester on Friday night, to get to the bar where we where meeting you can walk along the canal. A walk I would recommend in manchester, theres lots of interesting things to see, like the time line on the back of the Hacienda flats. There was also a house boat that had sunk, some one had clearly had a bad day. I was surprised that no one was trying to re-float the boat.
on the car I decided that I was going to splitter the splitter to make it easer to remove from the car. I also chopped a bit of the side pod floor of to make removing the side pods with the wheels on the car easer. The part from the side pod floor and the side parts from the splitter got bonded together and I will get remake them as one part. Using the existing parts as a template.
I have been wanting to have a go at a quick mold for something simple and the splitter seamed like a good thing to try on, because they tend to get bashed on stuff so don’t last that long. I started out by covering a bit of MDF in if packing tape, then built up a fence from scrap wood that also got covered in packing tape. The whole lot got a single coat of wax and we where ready to go. I pre cut, Diolen, Kevlar tape, core material and the bagging stack.
I still find laminating full on so I don’t have any photos of the lay up. The stack is 200g Diolen, 3mm core fabric, 200g Diolen with kevlar tape used on all the edges and a rib made from core foam across the center of the part everything was laided up wet then, toped of with usual vacuum bagging stack. The idea was to give the part more abrasion resistance than carbon fiber.
Once it was all in the bag I had a couple of leaks that where surpassingly hard to find. I found the best way to find the vacuum leaks was to listen for the whistling noise and then squees the gum tape until it stopped.
Debagging was straight forward, remove the bag then peal the excess resin blanket off. pulling the peal ply off is probably the most tricky part, short sharp jerking motion seams to work best.
Tadar one new splitter with flange. Unfortunately you can clearly see where the core fabric ends, because the tape is not as thick as the core. Next time I take the core fabric to the edge trim the part once cured and then bind the edge with kevlar tape as a second operation, I will also take more time laminating over the rib because its a bit untidy.
I was also working on the bonnet, it has been blocked back with 180 grit all over and the imperfections on the top fixed. I stood it up one one end and marked the low spots with a pencil because they can be hard to see.
All of the filling was done with Dolphin glaze a self leveling, finishing glaze, Its like body filler but you can put it on so much thinner. I would go so far as to sayDolphin glaze is an epiphany product, previously I would have hated doing this type of job but the glaze makes is so easy to put a thin coat on that can be lightly blended in with wet and dry once its gone off.
The last job for the weekend was to get a couple of coats, of paten primer on to the bonnet, currently I have it on the sides and front. I will block the lot out to 500 grit put the bonnet on the car and and then pant the top flat once its flat so the paint does not run off and then blocking and polishing.