Its been a long while since an update to the blog. I have been up to bits and bobs but not writing it up. I have made a small amount of progress on the Cyana but a lot of my time has been spent making carbon fiber panels for a Ginetta G40 for a mate.
This evening I had ago at a completely different project for a friend. I was asked to come up with a concept for a business card that stands out from the crowd for a consultancy company that they are starting. I think the inspiration was the business card scene from American psycho.
I started off by cutting out some bits of brass to the size if and ATM card to use as a blank.
Then I moved on to hand filling a radius on each of the corners. on this card each corner is different so that I can see how they feel in the hand, because its not made from a flexible stock this is surprisingly important.
Some 320 grit left too the shine off everything and softened all the edges nicely.
I think the side that has a slight belly out and larger radius feels best, but I will ask what some other people think befor committing to the shape.
I forgot to take any photos setting up the resist on the card. But after that it was hooked up to a car battery charger and left for 25 minuets in salt water to etch.
I have things a bit of agitation with an old tooth brush during the process witch I’m fairly sure was a bad idea as I dislodged some of the resist about 20 minuets in to the process.
The end result after a wipe down with a rag and a drop of oil. I will have an experiment with adding some patina befor a final polish of the raised sections for a bit of variety on some of the other samples.
I will be intreated to see what other finishes and patina can be achieved with a bit of vinegar or Liver of Sulphur.
Its a bit rough round the edges but as a proof of concept, I’m happy with the final result.
The next step to make do a small batch is to draw the final shape in CAD and pack a bunch on to a single sheet of brass so that they can be laser cut leaving small tabs so all the cards are held in place in the sheet. Masks from vinyl can then be applied and a number of cards etched at once.
Another brief absence from car building is as an end. However having been in the work shop for a couple of hours this evening, I might take some more time off its cold. I dont think I have felt that cold since I helped a friend do an engine swap out side in February in Dollar.
Following the final clear out of bits from work I have acquired a pillar drill. The plan is to put a plug on it and see how it runs like most of the other bits and bobs it baerly seams to have been used.
I made up a number of power leads using cable and crimps from eBay and a bit of heat shrink to keep it all looking good. The photos showing everything run in don’t look all that good so I will have to come back and tidy up.
One of the reasons I have been out of the work shop so long is I have been weighting for the fuel pile and fittings to arrive, they where ordered in mid December and arrived last week. So its time to push on.
So after two more trips back to euro car parts to pick up the wrong I belt. I came home with 6PK 1310 which fits and would probably fit with an oversized water pump under drive pulley as well.
I have also been on a bit of an eBay spending spree, silicon hoses, -6 fitting fuel hoses, -6 fittings and fuel pump and filter mount should be turning up over the next couple of days so I can get on with some car building between Christmas and the new year.
The list of stuff that needs doing before the engine can be started is getting shorter. It’s getting very tempting to set a first start deadline.
So I learnt something new about belts today the 6PK1352 belt showen below has 6 ribs and is 1352mm in length. Unfortunately even with all that knowledge the belt is still the wrong size.
Back to euro car parts tomorrow to see if that have either a 6PK1250 or 6PK1300 in stock.
The company I work for has decided to move a small machine shop to the other end of the building. In the move a number of tools where going to end up in the skip so early christmas for me. I have gained a load of good bits and bobs, including a full set of files. Some of the spanners are very large 45mm to 50mm I can’t see me using them any time soon but who knows.
There where a number of files so I finally finished of cleaning up the water rail. Using a center punch to clear the ‘e’ then a needle file to tidy the rest of the details. Finishing up with some 600 grit wet and dry to give it a nice mat finish.
last job of the day was to plan the water hose route and order some silicon hoses from ebay.
Nipped to the work shop to get some quick jobs done.
first I measured up for the alternator belt by wrapping a bit of flex round all the pulleys pulling it tight marking up and taking it off to measure. it’s 1.35m or less 6v belt I need i should be able to get one at the weekend.
Then I started making the bracket to mount the radiator. it’s made from folded aluminum sheet and I’m hopping it will form a crush structure with the radiator in the event of a collision, hopefully saving the chassis. this is an idea I got from DP cars and seams to work well there.
After a great summer out and about, I finally made it back to the work shop to get some stuff done.
I have finally sorted out the alternator using parts from the Cosworth kit, you can order all the parts separately from burton power and an alternator sourced from the manufacturer to keep the costs down a bit. All I have left to do is measure up for a belt and another bit is complete.
looking at aluminium radiators on ebay and found this Elise radiator (i’m fairly sure its the same as a rover 25) with fans for a great price so one impulse purchase later and it fits snugly up fount. I had been hopping to lean it forward but its just to big so it will get mounted leaning back as shown with the fans on the fount.